So I get there and she covered it up with the coloring book. As I began to move the book over, she slid the crayon box on top of it. When she figured out that I had already seen it, she said, "Liddy not do it, Mommy."
So I step back and begin to wonder why would a 2 year old lie, it's not like I yell at her or beat her.... does she just want to please me or is she scared? Is that my first instinct when I realize I've messed up?
All these thought happen within 5-10 seconds and then I start my talking to..... I asked her why she thought it was fun to do that and not color in the book, she understood that it was wrong, and I was happy with that. We talked about it and she said, "I sorry Mama." So I thought it was over. We on with our day and I forgot about it.
When we are sitting down for dinner, Alan notices it. (Our days are so busy, I didn't even remember to tell him about this small incident, so he knew nothing of our "talk".) He says, "Liddy, did you color on the table?" And she instantly replies with, "NO! Mommy did!" I'm shocked again!! Not only is she fibbing again, but she pushed me under the bus instead of her!
I love watching Alan's kind heart discipline, I love that we are on the same page when we didn't even have time to discuss it. He says, "Liddy, mommy didn't color on the table, who colored on the table?" and eventually she says, "Liddy did."
Followed up with "I go to time out?" A poked out lip, head down and getting out of chair.... (She's only been to time out 2 or 3 times at school before, so I was shocked that she remembered and was willing to punish herself!)
We didn't make her punish herself, we talked about why it's important to listen to adults and obey them. It's not about coloring on the table* it's about listening, responding, and NOT fibbing. I got a rag and we all had fun cleaning up the mess.
I know this won't be the last "little (or big) white lie" and maybe we should have handled it differently, but I was proud of her in the end for saying she was sorry, for willing punishing herself and for graciously helping clean up.
It reminded me to treat others the way I like to be treated. We all make mistakes (sometimes on purpose), but how do we handle it? How do we confess our sins, do we throw others under the bus instead of us? Funny how much you can learn from a 2 year old, huh?
James 1:19-20 is a constant reminder when I feel frustrated with reasoning with a child.....
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
* The table is not a "nice piece of furniture" it was a hand me down, that we have loved ever since we got it! It was full of paint and scratches when we got it and I refinished it, I have painted the top twice in 7 years, so it's a really kid friendly place. And the crayons are washable.
And on to other pics from the phone.....
| Another park day with the Payne boys! |
![]() |
| Boston introduced her to the big kid playground and she doesn't even know what to do with her excitement! |
| Car Car! |
| Loves blocks! |
![]() |
| She found "puzzles" on her nabi and loves them! |
![]() |
| Found her like this while we were playing outside? |










No comments:
Post a Comment